Delamere Spartans Running Club Privacy and Data Protection Statement
Delamere Spartans is a privacy conscious organisation and is strongly committed to your right to privacy. That is why we have drafted a Privacy and Data Protection Statement, which follows guidelines set out in the Data Protection Act 1998.
The Data Protection Act 1998
The Data Protection Act 1998 came into force on 1 March 2000. It set rules for processing personal information and applies to structured paper records as well as data held on computers. Since the Freedom of Information Act 2002 came into force on 1st January 2005, the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 will apply to all records, collected in order for Delamere Spartans to maintain its website and organise its regular sessions.
How does the Data Protection Act affect Delamere Spartans?
The Data Protection Act states that those who record and process personal information must be open about how the information is used and must follow the eight principles of ‘good information handling’.
These principles state that data must be:
- Fairly and lawfully processed
- Processed for limited purposes
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Not kept for longer than is necessary
- Processed in line with your rights
- Secure, and
- Not transferred to countries without adequate protection.
- By law, data controllers, including Delamere Spartans, have to keep to these principles.
If you believe in any way that Delamere Spartans is not processing your personal data in accordance with these principles, please contact us at a club night or through the forum.
How does Delamere Spartans collect data?
Delamere Spartans collects personally identifiable data, through the Spartapp and the Delamere Spartans website.
All personally identifiable information provided to Delamere Spartans is processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998.
What information is collected?
Delamere Spartans collects the following:
- Location where you live (not your full address)
- Email address
- Mobile phone number (for emergency use on the trail)
- Age (for the club champs)
Is information passed to third parties?
It is Delamere Spartans policy NOT to disclose information to third parties unless explicitly required to do so under UK Law.
Delamere Spartans does NOT collect or compile personally identifying information for dissemination or sale to external parties for marketing purposes or host mailings on behalf of third parties.
The only organisation that we pass information on to is UK Athletics as part of our affilitation. The information required by UKA is runners' names, contact details and date of birth.
What does Delamere Spartans use the information for?
Delamere Spartans only use the information to:
- Register users of the Delamere Spartans website forum
- Register runners for its regular club sessions
- Maintain the club championships records
- Produce some basic analysis race results, miles logged, etc
- Promote the Delamere Spartans through its email newsletter ‘Spear of Sparta’
When a runner enters their details on the forum or via the Spartapp they are agreeing to Delamere Spartans to use the information for the purposes described above. You can opt out of receiving the Spear of Sparta.